Our premium themes can be updated to the new release just as you would any other premium WordPress theme.
We have three types of updates:
- Adding new features - We add new features to the theme whenever we have a new cool feature requests by our customers, as well as our team.
- Code improvement - This makes the theme more stable and faster, and also improves security.
- Solving bugs or issues - If any bugs or issues appear due to browser updates or WordPress version changes, we make sure to update the theme ASAP to keep you and visitors of your website safe.
Regardless of the type of updates, they should be applied as soon as conveniently possible.
Automatic update (via WordPress Admin Area):
Unfortunately, there is no way yet to update the theme automatically. Sorry for the inconvenience. But we will do our best to find a way to change this as soon as possible. We plan to implement an automatic theme update system in one of the upcoming theme updates, so that you no longer have to install updates manually.
Update via FTP or SFTP:
Note! In the following tutorial, the “Author’s Notepad” theme is used as an example.
To update the theme manually (by simply overriding all files via FTP or SFTP), please perform the following steps:
- Download the ZIP archive with the new version of this theme to your computer. After downloading you should have a ZIP archive called
authors-notepad.1.0.zip. This is a compressed file containing all the folders and files required for the theme to function properly.
- Unzip the ZIP archive with the new version of this theme on your computer. You’ll get the folder
You need to preserve the directory structure in the archive when extracting these files.
- Access your server via FTP or SFTP.
If you aren’t sure how usually your web hosting provider will have instructions somewhere on their website.
- Browse to the directory
The location of the folder
wp-contentdepends on your host’s setup. Typically, the folder
public_htmlcontains all the files of the website, among which you will find this folder. Please contact your web hosting company to get help if you can’t find this folder.
- It’s best to have a backup, so download the theme folder
authors-notepad-sxcto your computer.
- Upload the theme folder
authors-notepad-sxcfrom step 2, with replacing the current folder of the theme. Wait for the uploading to complete, it may take several minutes. Once the upload complete, the theme should be in
wp-content/themes/authors-notepad-sxc/on your server.
Important! Sometimes files are deleted inside the theme folder so make sure that your program is deleting all files and uploading the new ones when it overrides instead of simply “updating newer files”. It can cause issues if you have files on your server inside the theme folder that are no longer used in the theme itself.
Note! After you are done updating a theme please also clear your website and browser cache to prevent errors (this should be done when updating any theme or plugin).
More help & support
If you have any questions that are beyond the scope of this documentation, please read the Frequently Asked Questions. If you still can’t find an answer to your enquiry, please don’t hesitate to contact us and we’ll be happy to help you out.
Answers to common questions about licenses, payment process, refunds and customer support can be found on the page Common Questions.